Whether you like it or not the holidays are sneaking up on us. Time to start thinking about advent activities around here. It's our favorite time of year!
Last year we started a fun advent activity calendar and the boys have already asked if we are doing it again this year.
It's really pretty simple - I hung paper bags on a string with some clips. In each paper bag is a note of something we can do, read, watch, play, or a little gift if we're having a particularly busy day.
I like this design because I could hang up all the bags but could choose to fill them later. Sometimes plans change so this leaves me the ability to change or add a card the night before.
There are many things you can do and some don't have to be related to the holidays. Here are some ideas:
- pick out a tree
- decorate your tree
- decorate the house
- make cookies
- have a picnic in the living room for dinner
- pick out your favorite holiday books to read
- family game night
- holiday movie night
- make an ornament
- pick out a new ornament
- secretly leave goodies at the neighbors door
- drive around to look at lights
- make up a new Christmas song
- practice a random act of kindness
- backwards day (dinner for breakfast, breakfast for dinner)
- build a fort with Christmas lights
- dinner date with mom/dad
- visit a park you've never been to
- see a holiday play/musical
- donate old toys to a women's shelter
- make a gift for someone
- dance party
- make paper snowflakes
- go ice skating
- make a gingerbread house
- have a pajama party
A lot of the things you put in could be things you would be doing that day anyway but getting it as a surprise in a bag or envelope makes it that much more fun.
We found lots of great ideas last year too you can find those on this post. This year I'm changing it up just a bit by making a book of envelopes to put the activities in (will share that when it's finished). If the advent for that day is a small gift (like a new book or movie) I'll put clues in the envelope for them to figure out where it's hidden.